This country home is ideally situated for visits to Rome and many historically and archeologically interesting places in the direct vicinity. Lazio, or Latium, has been inhabited many thousands of years and is the area with the most Etruscan history. The Mediterranean is only 40 km away to the west and you will find Lake Bracciano and Martignano at driving distance. Holiday home Serrari is only 10 car-minutes away from Oriolo Romano and Manziana from where it takes 60 minute by train to reach the city centre of Rome.
Please be aware that having acces to a car is highly recommended because of the rural location of the house.
In the surrounding area
In close proximity, approx. 10 km away, you will find lake Bracciano and the lovely city of Bracciano with its imposing castle of Orsini-Odescalchi. A little further lies Anguillara Sabazia. At an hour’s drive lies Viterbo, worth a visit for its amphitheatre in Sutri and Etruscan tombes. Near Cerveteri, 35 km away, you will find the largest Etruscan necropolis and the Etruscan museum. Santa Severa is a medieval castle on a beautiful beach at 40 km from the house. Tuscania, one hour by car, has two basilica, the San Pietro and the Santa Maria Maggiore, both more than 1000 years old.
- 2km from Antica Monterano
Visit the ancient ruines of Monterano at hiking distance. It’s scenic grandeur is sure to impress. Not for nothing this site was used as a set in movies such as Ben-Hur. You will find a number of commissioned works by Bernini. Free entrance.
Address: Strada Antica Monterano, 00060 Canale Monterano, Italy read more
- approx. 10 km from Solfatara van Manziana and the termale Bagni de Stigliano
- approx. 15 km from Lago di Bracciano
- approx. 20 km from Lago di Martignano
- approx. 23 km from the beach of Santa Severa by the castle
- approx. 25 km from Lago di Vico
- approx. 27 km from Cerveteri, for the Etruscan museum and Etruscan Necropolis
- approx. 45 km to the city of Rome. Of course you can take the car there, but to avoid traffic and parking costs, it is better to take the train. The trainstation of Oriolo Romano is 5 km from the house and offers a frequent train connection to Rome. A day-ticket of less than 10 euros per person offers free use of the train, the metro and the official busservice in Rome and all of Lazio.
- Walking and hiking
- Horseback riding
Great restaurants in Canale Monterano
- I Sapori della Maremma, Corso della Repubblica 30, 00060 Canale Monterano, Italië, +39 06 9967 4267
- La Locanda delle Cicale, Localita Mezzagnone SNC, 00060 Canale Monterano, Italië
+39 329 632 0855
- Manturna, Piazza Tubingen 3, 00060 Canale Monterano, Italië
+39 06 9724 0736
Do your groceries at approx. 2km in the adjacent villages of Canale Monterano, Manziana and Oriolo Romano. You will find authentic Italian bakeries and butchers and of course local coffeebars. But also good supermarkets. There are frequent markets in the villages for seasonal vegetables and fruits.
There is a big folder in the house full of tips for activities and sightseeing places in the area. If you are looking for additional tips or need some help, call Marilou, the proprietor and also guestlady of the house. You will receive her contact information upon arrival.